International Admissions

Please refer to the full Admission Guide pdf for notes and appendices

International Environment

Here at Cherwell, we have a mix of international and UK students. We pride ourselves on this diversity; indeed, we see it as a valuable asset for later life, in an increasingly globalised society.

EU/EEA and Swiss Applications

All EU citizens are permitted to live and study in any EU country, without a visa.

This information will be updated if any changes occur following the UK’s decision to leave the EU.

Non-EU/EEA applications

If you are a national of a country which is outside the EU/EEA and/or Switzerland you will need to obtain a permission from the UK government to study in the UK.

Visa sponsorship

In order to obtain a UK student visa you will need an education provider who must be registered as a Tier 4 Sponsor with UKVI (Home Office).

Our College is a licenced Tier 4 Sponsor and is authorised to accept non-EU/EEA/Swiss students for short term or full time academic programmes at the College.

How your length of study affects your visa requirements

Short term academic programmes are for example pre (I)GCSE, pre A-level and other pre-sessional courses which do not last for more than 6 months.

Full  time  academic  programmes  are  the  UK  curriculum  courses  such  as GCSE,  IGCSE,  A-level,  Cambridge Pre-U and IB.

If you are planning to come for a short period of study (less than 6 months), you will need to follow a less rigid application process. This guidance provides a full admission process to be followed by students who are planning to study full time academic programmes. 

In addition, short term students do not require to obtain a Tier 4 student visa but will need a short term student visitor visa.

Admissions Stage I: Introduction

How to apply

Please complete the online enquiry form or send your request in the email form to our College Secretary;

Please also attach copies of any recent academic reports or exam results with translation in English (where required). 

Further requirements, including exam results and English Language proficiency

Your  application  will  be  reviewed  and  further  information  will  be  requested where necessary. This can include  recent  academic  transcripts, exam results and/or evidence  of  your  level  of  English  (IELTS  for UKVI certificate  or similar). We may also ask for a personal statement.

For A-level study, it is required to show English language proficiency of at least Level B1 of CEFR scale, provided you have not previously studied and completed an academic course in the UK under your current Tier 4 student visa.  

You can find a list of the UKVI approved English tests at

Admissions Stage II: Invitation for an interview

Your application will be reviewed and if thought appropriate, the Academic team will issue a letter inviting you for an interview with the Principal and will request the following: 

  • A copy of your passport and your current visa, if you have just completed a course in the UK;
  • Copies of recent academic progress reports from your previous place of study (if not already supplied).

If your progression to the applied course is evident (e.g a GCSE student applying for A-level study), the Principal may consider extending an offer letter subject to the interview only. 

Admissions Stage III: Interview

After an assessment of the student’s previous academic progress, the College will interview you in Oxford or set up a Skype interview, which will be with the Principal and one other member of our Academic team.

The interview will include an informal conversation with the Principal and/or written assessments on your selected subjects of study, if the Academic team considers it appropriate in the circumstances. The purpose of this is to identify any areas of weakness, if a student’s previous academic reports show inconsistent progress. 

For students based overseas, we will arrange the assessments at the British Council office or a similar accredited institution. 

The Principal in conjunction with Academic team will evaluate a student’s academic ability and decide whether the candidate is suitable for the selected course of study. 

Admissions Stage IV: Issuing an offer letter

Following a successful interview, an offer letter will be issued.

The student and their parent must respond to the offer letter by completing and signing the following documentation:

  • Registration Form;
  • Acceptance Letter;
  • Medical Form;
  • Parental Consent Form.

Upon the receipt of the above documentation, the College will then request a registration payment, deposit, first term’s tuition and accommodation fees (where applicable).

If later during the enrolment stage a student is refused a UK visa and there is evidence of negligence on the student’s behalf, none of the fees will be refunded. However, the College will assist you in your second attempt. 

Admissions Stage V: CAS statement

How to obtain your CAS

The CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) is issued as a result of the following criteria being satisfied:

  • Student has provided the College with the proof of academic eligibility;
  • Student has provided appropriate proof of their English language proficiency;
  • Student or their parent/guardian has read and signed the necessary admission forms and terms & conditions;
  • Student has paid the registration, deposit, tuition fees and accommodation fees (where applicable).

CAS as a visa requirement

The CAS statement allows non-EU/EEA and Swiss students to apply for Tier 4 student visa.

The CAS contains a unique reference number that students require when they make their Tier 4 student visa application.

The CAS confirms that you have an unconditional offer of a place at the College and that the College will be your Tier 4 Sponsor.

The College will send an email to the student or their parent/legal guardian with the CAS statement attached. The CAS statement contains a unique CAS number and confirms all the personal and course information that the College uploads to the UKVI (Home Office) system which generates the CAS number. The information on the CAS is necessary to complete your Tier 4 visa application form.

Each CAS is only valid for 6 months, and when it is assigned it is given an expiry date. You will not be able to use the CAS after its expiry date. You can apply for a visa the earliest 3 months before the start date of your course and the College advises students to apply in good time.

NB: Your permission to stay in the UK is 'tied' to the education provider whose CAS you use to apply for Tier 4 student visa. When you receive your Tier 4 visa, you will find the College’s Tier 4 Sponsor number on the vignette in your passport or on your BRP card.

When can I start my studies?

If you apply from outside the UK, you will not be permitted to start your course until you have a valid Tier 4 student visa to study at the College.

If you apply from within the UK, you will first need to make an application before commencing your programme with us. You may commence your studies as soon as we have evidence that you have applied to extend or switch to a new Tier 4 student visa.

Please refer to the full Admission Guide pdf for notes and appendices

Interested in attending Cherwell College? Enquire today!

Limited places available for 2020 intake
Guardian Name
Guardian Name
Guardian Mobile
Guardian Mobile
Student Name
Student Name
Student date of birth
Contact Email
GCSE or ALevel choice
Any questions