Our experienced and dedicated team of academic staff support our students through every aspect of their application to university, from deciding upon the right course and university to preparing for any interviews and tests.
Support for university entrance tests
We offer specialist advice to students, both at Cherwell and other schools, and offer tuition across the full range of competitive university entrance tests:
- BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) and UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) for applications to Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Medicine.
- The Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA) for a range of competitive degree courses at Oxford, Cambridge and UCL.
- The Law National Admissions Test (LNAT) for many LLB Law courses.
- The History Aptitude Test (HAT) for History at the University of Oxford.
- The English Literature Admissions Test (ELAT) for English Literature at University of Oxford.
- The Maths Admissions Test (MAT) and Sixth Term Examination Paper (STEP) for applications to study Mathematical courses at the universities of Oxford and Cambridge respectively.
- SAT and ACT for US universities
The admissions process at Oxford and Cambridge has become increasingly competitive over recent years, requiring aptitude tests, pre-submitted essays and interview skills. Cherwell’s Oxbridge Admissions service reflects this; we offer support, encouragement and guidance throughout the duration of the student’s time with us, to ensure that the applicant stands out from the crowd during the application cycle.
We are also able to offer subject-specific mock interviews, which are followed by detailed feedback on interview technique and subject knowledge.
Additional tutorials are provided on a weekly basis, to take the student beyond the confines of their A-level syllabuses and develop the higher thinking skills they will need to excel in the admissions tests and at interview.
As our tutorial system mirrors the Oxbridge tutorial system, our students are unfazed by academic, one-to-one situations.
Advice on choosing a university
The process of applying to university is complicated, but it begins with the choice of course and university. At Cherwell College, we are able to offer substantial guidance which enable students to make an informed choice about their university application. We do this by drawing together their interests, predicted grades and careers prospects.
Our experienced UCAS advisor dedicates a substantial amount of time to honing our students’ personal statements; this ensures that they are error-free, which helps to present the student in the best possible light to admissions departments.
If the student is called to interview, one or more mock interviews are provided and detailed feedback on interview technique and oral presentation skills.